Fairfax County Neighborhood Complaints Resources


Use the forms below to report complaints, concerns and issues in your neighborhood or community.

To report other issues not listed here, call 703-FAIRFAX (703-324-7329), TTY 711, or consult the county's online directory or hotlines.

Neighborhood Concerns and County Services (Fairfax County, Oct 2008) .pdf flyer/document

Homes and Properties

Crime and Law Enforcement

Roads and Trails



  • Environmental Crimes
    (Contact information to report environmental concerns and events negatively impacting the county)

Consumer Issues


Fairfax County Department of Code Compliance

The Department of Code Compliance investigates most neighborhood quality of life complaints in the county, including parking in the grass, junk in the yard, too many people living in a home, uncut grass, building without permits, and hoarding. It enforces zoning, property maintenance, building, blight, grass, fire and health codes all within in a single department.

Contact Us: 703-324-1300, TTY 711
Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Friday 9:15 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Submit Complaint:

Complaint History

Animals & Pets

  • County rules for animals and pets on residential property.


  • Barking Dogs
  • Construction Activity
  • Electronics / Musical Instruments
  • Trash Collection
  • Vehicles
  • Yardwork

Building Lots & Land Use

  • Accessory Structures
  • Fences
  • Home Businesses

Property Maintenance

Vehicles & Parking

  • Vehicles Parked on Lawn
  • Commercial Vehicles
  • Construction Equipment
  • Inoperable Vehicles
  • Vehicles Blocking the Street


  • Unlicensed Contractors
  • Unpermitted Construction
  • Unpermitted Land Disturbance


  • How to identify and report hoarding in your community.


  • Signs on residential properties and roads.

Outdoor Lighting

  • County rules for outdoor lighting at residential and commercial properties.

Fairfax County Police Good Neighbor Hints

While parties or other gatherings are often the source of complaints, there are other things responsible residents should do to maintain friendly relations with the neighbors.

If you have pets, be sure to observe the laws pertaining to leashed animals and the clean up and disposal of animal waste. For information regarding animal regulations, visit http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/animal/animal-control-services.htm. To report an incident, call the police non-emergency number at 703-691-2131.

It is also important to ensure that the property where you live is properly and neatly maintained. Information about Fairfax County property maintenance requirements can be obtained by calling the Department of Code Compliance at 703-324-1300 or online at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/code/property.

Understand and comply with the vehicle licensing and registration requirements. New residents, military personnel, out-of-state students and owners of trucks, trailers or specialty vehicles are often confused by the tax and registration requirements. Information about licensing requirements can be obtained online at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/cartax_motorvehicles.htm.


Common Problems & Simple Solutions…

Communication and cooperation are key ingredients to a friendly, harmonious neighborhood. Make it a point to meet your neighbors and get to know each other, so that small problems can be resolved before they become big ones. Let your neighbors know if you’re planning any event involving more than a few people.

Often, simply sharing your plans and following through on your commitments may result in more tolerance of the minor disturbances and inconveniences that sometimes occur.

There are some of the most common neighborhood complaints received by the police department and some recommended solutions for good neighbors:

Noise – The County’s noise ordinance prohibits any noise that can be heard beyond your property. Initial police response for a violation usually results in a warning; a second violation could result in an arrest.

Solution: if you intend to have a band, outdoor music or other loud entertainment advise your neighbors of the time it will begin and end, then abide by it. Reasonable limits on the volume and duration of the noise will minimize the likelihood of a complaint. If the police do visit about a noise complaint, your immediate and continued compliance with the noise ordinance is essential. Be aware that noise is more noticeable at night, so even casual outdoor conversation can disturb neighbors.

Littering – It is a violation of law to deposit any type of trash upon a public roadway or another person’s property. Littering in the neighborhood during parties often results in a request for police response.

Solution: If hosting an event, place sufficient trash containers in and around your home. Inform your neighbors that you will collect any trash in your neighborhood that may have resulted from your party, and do so within 24 hours.

… to Avoid Neighborhood Problems!

Parking – It is unlawful to block and/or park within 10 feet of a driveway, to park within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, to park within 20 feet of an intersection, or to park against the flow of traffic. Where there are no curbs, vehicles must be parked completely off the paved roadway. These violations are among the most frequent complaints made to the police.

Solution: Be aware of parking restrictions in your neighborhood and always park legally. If hosting an event, advise your guests where legal parking is available. Ask your neighbors to contact you in the event of any parking problems. If you live in a Residential Parking Permit area, make sure guest vehicles display one of your guest permits.

Public Consumption of Alcohol – Persons who consume alcohol while wandering about the neighborhood or while sitting in a vehicle are subject to arrest for drinking in public or for being drunk in public.

Solution: Limit any consumption of alcoholic beverages to within your home or restrict it to an area beyond the view of the general public, such as your backyard. If you choose to drink, do so responsibly and always choose a designated driver.

Other Alcohol Violations – It is a criminal violation for anyone under the age of 21 to possess or consume alcoholic beverages. It is unlawful for an adult to permit the possession or consumption of alcohol by underage persons. It is unlawful to sell alcohol at a party or to charge admission to a party when that fee covers the consumption of alcohol.

Solution: Ensure no one under the age of 21 is consuming alcoholic beverages, or providing alcohol to underage guests on your property. If uninvited guests show up at a party, or you become uncomfortable with the activities going on, be proactive in regaining control. Don’t hesitate to call for police assistance since you can be held legally responsible if you fail to act.

Some FAQs from: Neighborhood Concerns and County Services (Fairfax County, Oct 2008) .pdf flyer/document

Can a vehicle or trailer be parked on the lawn?

Vehicles must be parked on the street or on a paved driveway. The only exception is if a vehicle is being actively cleaned, repaired or loaded. A vehicle may be parked on the lawn for these reasons, but for no longer than 48 hours. More information on parking and neighborhood traffic rules can be found at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/rtap.htm.

How many unrelated people may live in a house?
Up to four unrelated people. If more than four unrelated individuals live in a house, it is considered a boarding or rooming house operation. It is illegal to operate a boarding/rooming house, except under very limited circumstances requiring a special permit. To report a suspected illegal boarding house, visit www.fairfaxcounty/striketeam or call 703- 324-1300, TTY 711.

Can I store unused, unwanted items in my yard, such as tires or furniture?

You can store items in your yard, but they must be put in the backyard. They also must be screened with a fence from view from the first-story window of nearby homes. The storage area cannot exceed 100 square feet on most residential properties.

What are the rules for how homes must be maintained?

The County Code requires that all structures be kept in good repair and in sound condition both on the exterior and interior of the structure. Common problems include broken windows, falling gutters and missing siding.

What’s the maximum height for uncut grass?

Uncut grass cannot be higher than 12 inches on residential properties that are half an acre or less. To submit a complaint, call 703-324-1937, TTY 711, or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/environmental/grass_height.htm.


┬ęCopyright Pimmit Hills Citizens' Association (PHCA)
1927 Pimmit Drive, Pimmit Hills, VA 22043
Contact Us


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software